Monday, April 30, 2007

MIA

Here, there, and everywhere!

My school is holding a reunion and I'm listed as MIA. I took care of that and thought I might show up here as well.

Two things have distracted me. First, our house needed some serious attention. And after three coats of blue in the dining room, four coats of red in the dining room, and the distribution of geegaws and drapery, it's looking sort of cozy. I have one question. How do you stop a husband from hanging drapes too high? He likes them better four inches off the ground. ==:-o Terribly attractive!

Second, a friend suggested a book, Element of Lavishness, the letters between Sylvia Townsend Warner and and William Maxwell. Lavishness doesn't begin to describe this book. I was hoping to save a letter for after writing, for just before bedtime, for waiting in the car. Nope. They beg to be devoured. It's like a look in on a private conversation between two people who see the world in terms of abundance. Every page is a pleasure, and I have no self-control.

So--I left the book at home and I've come to the coffee shop again. No painting, no hanging anything, no moving this table over here and that lamp over there. No Warner and Maxwell.

Just work. I'd better hop to it!

No comments: